Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Frustrated...

Last night was very frustrating. Olivia has been up a lot at nights but last night was horrible. She was up from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m. straight and you could tell she was uncomfortable. By 3 a.m. with no sleep, I was very much wanting to know what was wrong. From 3 a.m. on, Mike's mom took over. Olivia has always spit up some but in the past couple days it has gotten really bad. She is very gasey too. On Saturday, the day she was discharged, they had started her on polyvisol with iron. That has the tendency to constipate. So we went about 3 days without a good stool. There was some stools but not ones that were good enough for me to feel good about. This morning she had her first good stool followed by several more. Considering her history (NEC and an Illius), I was a little nervous/cautious about her spitting up and being gasey and not stooling well. So we went to the the Doctor today. Even if it was just getting a peace of mind, it was worth it. If it was something, I caught it early. If not, no harm done.
Her Dr. wanted to be extra cautious with it, so Olivia had an x-ray (which was done in the office) and some lab work. The x-ray came back showing that she had a lot of gas but no dialated loops or anything to re-admit her. So that is good news. She started her on zantac to see if that helps with all the spitting up. We've narrowed it down to either reflux or the formula I'm putting in her breastmilk. I nursed her at 4:00 p.m. and didn't have any spit up afterwards. The difference there is that I didn't offer her a bottle afterwards. Usually I do and it has formula mixed in with it. The next feeding had zantac with it and she didn't spit up either. So we'll see how tonight goes. I spoke with Emmma's nurse tonight and she recommended that I hold her upright for a half an hour after I feed her to help with the relux too. She said that reflux tends to get worse and spikes at 4 months then starts to decline. That is good news. The good news is that she is 5 lb. 1 oz. She is doing really well! She is very sweet and loves to be home!
Emma Grace is kicking tail. She is 4 lb. 1 oz. Wow!!! That is my girl! She is tolerating the decrease in oxygen also. She is now on a c-pap and doing great! I just called and she is at 44% oxygen. We'll see if they make a change tomorrow.
I'm going to be selfish by asking that you pray that I will get some sleep. :)
Having a new born is tiring but this is different. I know something is just not right with Olivia and please pray that we can pinpoint the exact culperate.
Thanks and good night!!!!

2 comments:

Gina Beckwith said...

Girl, that is SO not a selfish prayer! Remember what they tell you on an airplane? Put the oxygen mask on yourself first before your kids, so you can be safe and stable to help them!!! Needing good rest for yourself is in turn blessing your family!! See- NOT selfish!

Unknown said...

That is a horrible feeling to know somethng is wrong with your child but not be able to put your finger on just what. It's like living with a time bomb. I'm continuing to pray for all of you!!