Thursday, July 10, 2008

Depends who you talk to...

I'm learning that it depends who you talk to on the subject of what is going on. I was kind of panicking because one lady I talked to thought Olivia could be home early next week. So I was putting some effort into cleaning my house and getting it ready. It's pretty intimidating to go from a clean/sterile environment to my house of two children and dust. Then I start stressing because I haven't really been doing enough with Olivia to feel comfortable. I've been letting the nurses feed her the bottle because she is still in the learning process so I figure it would be better for them to do it, than have her fail with me. I didn't want to hold her back. I haven't learned how to prepare her medicines. I haven't learned how to prepare her bottles. I haven't watched the videos, etc. Anyway, so I called the nurse and spoke with her. She thought I had a good week before Olivia came home. I felt better with that. Plus she said that I would room in with her one night before she came home. Again, good news. So my goal is to get in there as much as I can next week and get familiar with my girl. I talked to the discharge lady on the phone and she said that she could also write orders for a nurse to come by the house and just check on us, weigh Olivia, etc. if it would make us more comfortable. It's nice to know that is an option. Once I room in, I know I'll feel more comfortable. I did with Alyssa. I have fond memories of getting up every two hours and feeding her watching Mike sleep soundly since he had to work the next day. :)
The nurse also suggested that we didn't bring her home the following day after rooming in but to go home and get a good nights sleep and take her home the next day. Sounds good to me.
Both girls are pretty much doing the same. They found the start of another infection in Emma's tracheal asperate so they have her on antibiotics to head it off.
I'm off to bed.
Love,
Bethany

2 comments:

Angel said...

Hooray!!! Thank God for more good news!

Kel said...

It's so good to see your ongoing good news these days! I'm happy that the NICU is working with YOU and the girls in all these awesome decisions. You'll do great!