Friday, July 18, 2008

Big Day...

Tomorrow might be the big day. Emma has gone down on her oxygen from 67% to 45%. She has come down on her rate from 42 to 35 and is now down to 30. Her pressure is down to 26. Her blood gas at 2:00 p.m. was awesome! They are trying to get her numbers to 22 and 20. If they are down to that by tomorrow morning (that is their goal), they will attempt to extibate her (take her off of the ventilator and put her onto the c-pap). She is doing very well and we hope that she continues. I'm thinking positive but I also know the reality which is keeping my feet on the ground. Please be praying for her during the next 24 hours that she will come off and stay off. I kept hearing a sound coming from her like she was snoring. The nurse said she had a leak. To me it sounded like a bad thing but then she explained that the swelling in her throat has gone down so now air is leaking out. That is a good thing. She is off of lasix now. We are definitely on a roll and I want that ball to keep rolling. Go Emma! We are in your bleachers cheering you on!!!
Olivia is up to 6 bottles a day now. She needs to take 100% of all 6 bottles for her to increase to 8 bottles. I fed her today at 2:30 p.m. and she took 28 ml. So she had 10 ml. left. There are two feelings/emotions that go with this. #1 - I know that the nurse could have fed her all of it. So with me doing it, it probably held her back. #2 - I have to get comfortable feeding her and I have to learn sometime. So it was probably really good for me to get in there and start feeding her myself and work with her on it. I'm going to be much more confident bringing her home if I'm more comfortable with it. So it was probably worth her not taking all of her bottle. She still likes to sleep a lot! Must be like her mom. :)
We'll see what tomorrow holds.
Until then,
Bethany

1 comment:

Gina Beckwith said...

I know you've been pumping. Pardon my stupidity, but after they can gauge intake/output, will you be able to start exclusively breastfeeding? That will be SO nice, won't it! (Missing having a nursling.)