Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Excited and nervous at the same time...

I have a million things running through my head....
First of all, Emma is doing well and still tolerating everything. They didn't change anything today. They just let her adjust to the changes from yesterday. That is good. She is so very sweet! You look at her and she is so swaddled up that she looks like she weighs 15 lbs. and all you see is the top of her head. I guess she is cozy. : )
Olivia graduated to an open crib today like her big sister Emma. She seems to be doing well holding her temperature. You know, you want them home so badly and then when the time comes it's overwhelming and I think you go through a little panic mode. That is how I'm feeling today. The nurse told me that they have made orders to get us into a moniter and CPR class. So right then I knew we were looking at a week, give or take. She told me that Olivia will go home on caffeine so she will need to be on a monitor. At this point, Olivia is on caffeine, Lasix and diarell. I don't know if she will go home on all those meds. But the nurse said that they will teach me how to give her her meds. So I need to learn that. I also need to learn how to make her feeds since they add a fortifier to the breast milk. They will replace the fortifier with formula. So I need to learn that. I need to watch some DVDs before I go home. I can watch them right there in the NICU while I sit with the girls. I guess my to do list just grew and maybe that overwhelms me.
So I came home tonight from seeing the girls with all that on my mind and then Loren decides that she is going to climb onto the kitchen chair and then onto the table. She is my climber!!!! aughh!!!! How am I going to do this? (is what I'm thinking). I know....very carefully. Anyone that is helping watch Olivia has to take a CPR course. I'm not sure about the monitor class. I know we can have up to 6 people in the class with us but I don't know if that is something we can teach people on our own. I'll probably feel more prepared as we get closer. Oh...also Olivia has to pass a car seat test. If she doesn't pass, she'll use this car bed they let you rent from the hospital.
I'm going to give my mind a rest and head to bed.
Goodnight!
Love,
Bethany

1 comment:

Alison said...

Very exciting news - I'm so glad they are both in big girl beds. It's hard to think that Olivia is older than Emma because Emma is the small one. I love it when you call her the "big" sister. Just think of baby steps and you will get through the training and at least you only have to go through it once for both girls:)

Love you all - A