Saturday, August 30, 2008

THE PLAN...

I called the NICU yesterday and asked if I could speak with the resident (even though that is not my first choice). They said they would have someone call me back. Emma's doctor actually called me back which was so nice. I told her that I really didn't feel like I knew what was going on. She was so wonderful to give me a full report on Emma including the plan. She said everyone was pretty surprised that Emma came off of the ventilator. She has moderate lung disease. Any way you look at it, it is chronic lung disease. She just doesn't have severe or mild. It's moderate. She was getting respiratory treatments of the pulma chord (what people take with asthma - steriod puffers). She was doing well so they took that away. After a few days of Emma's breathing starting to get too fast they realized she was missing it. So they gave it back. They said it takes 2-3 days to kick in. Day 3 will end tomorrow afternoon. If by the end of the weekend she is not doing better, we will start the process of possibly getting a g-tube (feeding button in her belly). If by the end of the weekend, she is doing better they will give her a week to get her feeds down. If that is not successful, we do the g-tube.
Of course with everything there is positives and negatives. Emma needs to be home and bonding with us. She needs to be getting more developmental stimulation than in her crib in the NICU. She needs to be held by us. The doctor said she could stay in there another 3 months trying to eat but she really needs to be home with us. The g-tube would help her out. We could still try to bottle feed her, we just wouldn't wear her out. They are also going to check out her heart this week to make sure she is not having anymore heart issues....like pulmonary hypertenstion which is what she had before. The down sides...obviously surgery. The scariest part for me....is she would be back on the vent. during surgery. It could take 3 days to come off. It could take longer.
So this is all a lot to digest. Bottom line, she needs to come home. The g-tube would be temporary which is good. So we need to pray for a miracle - that she would be strong enough to eat this week. And if not that she would come through the surgery successfully without remaining on the vent. Definitely scary again!
The days to come will show us how she is.
On a positive note...Mike's coworkers bought us a triplet stroller!!!! We couldn't believe it!!! It was wonderful!!! We really need it since Loren is the age she is. What a BLESSING!!!
Please keep praying!!
Thanks!
Bethany

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh Bethany...You are on my heart along with your baby girls. I am praying HARD for a miracle. Believe me if anyone can believe for a Miracle it is me! I am so glad your doctor called you back and filled you in. I also love having doctos that communicate. I am trusting and believing the best will happen. Let us know.

love yah-
Meg