Monday, September 1, 2008

Keep on praying...it's working!

Well....after a frustrating weekend dealing with the idea of the g-tube, we now have our hopes up a little. I really wasn't opposed to the g-tube until I heard she would have to go back on the ventilator. I went into the NICU on Saturday night from 9 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. and it was perfect timing. I just went in to bond with Emma - getting some snuggle time and I was able to feed her. I worked with her and figured out a great technique to feed her. I have had a lot of practice feeding Alyssa when she was learning with the pigeon nipple that I know what to pay attention to. I noticed that if I didn't give her some resistance and the nipple went too far in her mouth, then the nipple wouldn't work at all. She took 30 of 38 for me. Awesome!!! The nurse had me take home all her nipples and cut them and also make out a card with instructions on how to feed her so the nurses knew.
I called the next day and the nurse said she had a good night. She slept for her first feeding so they just tubed her. The next one, she wanted the bottle. She took the whole thing. The one after that she took 35 of 38. They tried to feed her the next and she wouldn't wake up. So they let her sleep. During the day on Sunday, she took 15, then 24, then 20. I spoke with the nurse this afternoon. She slept during her 8:30 but took the full amount at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Wonderful!!!! I have yet to hear how her 5:30 p.m. went. I'm going to wait until after her 8:30 p.m. to call. This has been such a glimmer of hope. Last week her breathing was so bad they couldn't even try to feed her. Now they are feeding at least 6 times a day if she wants to. We'll just see what this week brings. Hopefully she'll get up to full feeds and come on home. Thank the Lord she is doing well. Just keep praying!!!!!

1 comment:

Megan said...

YAH!!!!!
Praise the Lord!
Keep on going girl!