Sunday, September 7, 2008

What to do?

It looks we are on a roller coaster with this feeding thing. Emma does well for a few days - is able to nipple everything because her breathing is o.k. Then goes a couple of days without nippling because her breathing is too fast or because she is worn out. It is very frustrating. We are so close and yet we can't seem to jump this hurdle. The question is how long is this going to take? If we give her 2 more weeks, will she be better then? Or will it take 3 months? How long do we think it is benefitting her to try or is it inevitable that we will go ahead with the g-tube in the long run? Right now we are giving her more time. But eventually if things do not get better we will need to seriously consider the downfalls of waiting too long - her not being with family, her not really having all the bonding time she needs, and her developmental skills (there is only so much they can do in the NICU). Please pray that this will be resolved and that we have the wisdom and peace to know what to do. I will be in there a lot this week - feeding her when I can and bonding more with her. Thankfully, my mom is still here and willing and able to watch my 3 girls so that I can be with Emma. I pray this week is a good week. Last week was hard.
Thanks for the prayers!! That is what will get us together here soon. :)
Love to you all!
Bethany

2 comments:

Megan said...

I will continue praying!!!

Meercat said...

Dear Sweet Bethany Shirley, ;-)

I know that God has you tight in His hands and will be giving you the strength, wisdom, and patience as you are coming down the home stretch. Emma will be home with you soon--one way or another. I know that you're praying that she won't need a g-tube (and I join you in that) but if that's what ends up happening, don't despair. When Merrit had his g-tube, life got easier in many ways. So, we're lifting you up from down here in NC. Know that I love you, my friend!! -Mir