Sunday, September 21, 2008

Feeds

I'm going to attempt to update this with Miss Loren on my lap. Not the easiest thing to do. Today they changed Emma's eating from every 3 hours with a certain amount to eating when she wants and she has to be between so little and so much by the end of the day. It's in grams so I'm not going to tell you the amount. I think it ends up being around 11 oz. for the day. Well, I went in and fed her. She did well and was resting in my arms. She loves the attention!!! I was getting ready to leave and she still seemed hungry. So I fed her again and she took another whole bottle. By the time I left, she had already met the minimum amount that she needed to take and she still has until tomorrow morning to meet that. I don't think eating is a problem for her. I'm glad she will come home on this flexible schedule. We are pretty sure she is coming home tomorrow but we won't know until she is out the door and in our car. You learn to not get your emotions all out on the line until it's official. Some people ask if I'm excited....I don't know that I have let myself. Maybe it's just learning it from the 3rd child going through this??? Who knows....
Tomorrow will be a busy day. We will have dispatch deliver our oxygen tanks and set up the equipment at home. My mom is coming to help again. Yes she is amazing!!! We will probably spend most of the day feeding the babies along with Alyssa and Loren. The word "schedule" might be a joke right now. We have to centerally locate Emma. She will be on 25 feet of cannula but we won't be able to move the oxygen tank. She will sleep with Olivia in our room in their crib for now. We need to have her machines set up so we can read her sats at all times. If her nasal cannula comes out, the alarm will sound because her sats have dropped. I know this will all be an adjustment but we are so ready to have her home. We will miss eating out. I will need to get my act together and plan ahead for meals so that we can grocery shop once instead of every day. Things will be different but good. We will be pretty confined at least until she is off oxygen. And we will have to be very careful during the winter time with RSV season. But it is just for a season.
Well, I'm off to bed. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Also - I've already had people speak with us about the bottles that they might try with their kids with the same problems - being too weak to eat the thickened formula without help. We're excited to see how many people this will help.
Please pray for this couple we met tonight. They had twins a week ago and she was 23 weeks along. I don't have much info. but I know it is very hard for them right now, as you could imagine.
I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.

3 comments:

Megan said...

praying!!!

Kelly said...

me too!!

Gina Beckwith said...

Praying. If you need to, I can run errands for you! Does your Kroger deliver for a fee? Schnuck's does. Blessings!