Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How people do this, I will never know...

Wow! So I'm definitely sleep deprived. Well, we all are. That is for sure. Between all this machines and learning all the sounds and what they mean and dealing with the oxygen, etc. Wow! I'm exhausted. We are exhausted. We have gone through baby proofing medical equipment 101 with Loren. Yes, she knows how to turn down the oxygen on it. We caught it right away but it scared me to death. So we had to do some adjusting there. We also couldn't figure out how to turn the volume up on one of the machines. Of course, we were trying to figure it out in the dark. The next morning I woke up and was looking at it and of course on the top it gives you all the directions to adjust the volumes on every part of it. Yep, sleep deprivation. I gave Emma her first bath ever! It was good but a little hard since she has the oxygen on her face. The first night we didn't sleep much because Emma kept pulling her cannula out. (That is why we had to turn up the machine). I also adjusted her tubes on tighter. This will all take some adjusting. I just hope it happens sooner than later. I took Emma to her eye appointment today. There was no change. That is good but we really need to pray that her eyes mature and the blood vessels completely form. She will have a head sono in 2 weeks. We need to pray that she is not retaining too much fluid in her ventricals surrounding her brain. That is a concern right now. She will also have a renal sono on her kidneys in a month. We need to keep praying that her calcium levels will go down or that they can figure out what the problem is. Please pray against sickness too. That is obviously a fear of mine with my older two being around my younger two. So I guess those are the main concerns/stresses on my mind right now. I guess being home and out of the NICU doesn't take away all the stresses. : )
I am very glad we are all home though!!!
Have a good night! Must attempt sleep now.
Bethany

2 comments:

Megan said...

Where we are weak, HE is strong!
You can do this!
I am praying!!!!

James Alex Stevens said...

We have the same issue with Alex pulling out his canula. You can try a couple of things that may help you feel a little better. We swaddled him until he was about 8 months old. That meant he couldn't pull out the tubes. Once he got to big for the swaddle blankets we would use duct tape on the outside of the tabs so they are more secure. Hang in there. It is manangeable and you will get used to it. Soon the machines will become a normal routine.