Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bottle feeding

Today went well. I went in and held Emma. She did great through the night and this morning. I've never seen her so awake. You could tell she felt better and you could hear her breathing was much more clear, not rattley. Her numbers were good most of the time. The one time she acted up was when they rounded on her. That is when she decided to have high respirations and brady. I was like "Are you kidding me?" The nurse told the doctor that she had not been doing that. Emma was just fussy at the time. She seems to be pretty gasey.
I showed the doctor the bottle and explained it to her and she said I could nipple her once a day and use that bottle. The doctor said she liked my ideas. Very good. So I fed her at 2:30 p.m. and she took the whole thing. It took a little longer at first because I was having trouble with the bottle. I eventually had to switch it out to the other bottle (I brought 2) and then she took off. It is a very tricky bottle because of the vacuum. The bottom has to be level or it loses its suction/vacuum. Anyway, I am going to be practicing again on Olivia tonight. I have to. It's the only way I'm going to get good at it. I'm going in tomorrow morning to feed her and I want to feel a little better about it. She did well afterwards. Much better than the last time we fed her a week or so ago. So we'll see...
Mike and I are still meeting with the surgeon tomorrow to discuss the surgery. We will probably make the decision to give this more time. But we want to know what it involves anyway.
This is going to be a week requiring patience. We definitely want her to let us know what she can handle. She is still at a 1/4 liter and that is wonderful! Please keep praying for her and us that we can finish out strong.
Love,
Bethany

1 comment:

Megan said...

Wow. I am so glad things are getting better. I am still praying and so glad to hear such good reports.