Friday, September 12, 2008

Zantac

Sorry it has been crazy and I haven't written in a couple of days....
I'm feeling a little better. The surgery date has moved to Tuesday. We meet Monday at 3:30 p.m. for a consultation with the surgeon to be informed and make a final decision. I will wait until then to give you all the specifics on the surgery. It will be two fold with a g-tube and a nissen.
However, in the meantime, I have been wondering for awhile how much Emma's reflux has been affecting her situation. After a few days of researching and thinking about things, I started to put together that not all of her symptoms could be because of the chronic lung disease but could be because of the reflux also. She arches her back, she is very uncomfortable, irritated, grouchy, not sleeping well, breathing fast. So I went out on a limb and asked the doctors today if we could at least try to give her some zantac to see if this helps anything. If it helps her to be more comfortable, I think her breathing would not be so fast (she breathes fine when she is not mad - when she is resting). I think it would help her sleep between feedings (not get worn out) and just overall be more comfortable. I needed to at least discuss this with the doctors before I say yes to surgery. Whether this works or not, I know I did all I could. They started Zantac today at 2:30 p.m. so I don't really know how long it will take to see any results. She is currently being tubed so that doesn't help her reflux because it doesn't have the rice in it. But if she does well, they might start bottle feeding her tomorrow with the rice cereal. We'll see...
I feel better just knowing we gave it a shot. If nothing else, I have peace about that. This will at least distinguish if it is her lungs or reflux. If this were to work, then we don't do the surgery. If it doesn't work, we probably will go for the surgery. Please pray that this will work. I know I said I would send pictures but I'm too tired. Hopefully tomorrow.