Sunday, June 29, 2008

There and back again...







There and back again...by Bilbo Baggins. Yes, that is how our weekend was. Every time I started to email, something changed. Friday Emma was doing great. Oxygen in the 40's, x-rays looking better, etc. Friday night Mike and I had a great night out and stayed at the Pere Marquette (a gift from Mike's coworkers - Thank you!). It was so relaxing and a much needed get-away. It was so nice to relax and talk about different things - some about the girls. We also just cherished the silence. Saturday morning we went to the hospital. Emma was not doing well. Her x-ray was not good. She had gone up to 100% oxygen. We were there for her rounds and we spoke with the doctors about her situation. Again we were frustrated because we can't fix it and neither could they. Everyone is just trying to figure her out. So they decided to tweak a couple different settings. By noon, they looked better but no huge improvements. By night she was not doing well again. This morning I woke up and called in. She had improved during the night and they had taken her off the Jet. Wonderful news!! But by the time we went in, her x-rays were bad and her blood gases were not good. I called in tonight and she is back on the Jet. I'm sure even as you read this, you are like "Awesome", and then "Bummer", then "Go Emma", etc. I just want to take her in my arms and tell her everything is going to be o.k. Tomorrow is 40 days and I haven't held my baby. And as long as she is on the Jet, I won't. I pray that she will continue to gain weight and eventually be able to take on this lung issue and kick it in the butt. I'm telling you, if I ever catch her smoking a cigarette when she is a teenager I'll kick her butt myself. :)

Olivia is improving with her x-rays and is still no feeds and on antibiotics. Her test came back negative for Meningitis which was good. They had told us she didn't have NEC but as of this morning, they said they are back to that and are continuing to treat her for that. Go figure! I guess as long as she is getting better, I don't care what she had. Tuesday will be her 7th day of no feeds and being on antibiotics. They might start gut priming on Wednesday if all looks well. Gut priming should take 4 days and then she can start her feeding schedule all over again.

We took Alyssa in to see her sisters. These are pictures of them. Loren still has never seen her sisters. Thankfully she doesn't really notice right now.

My wonderful and awesome best friend from North Carolina, Mir, has gone out of her way and made this awesome blog website for me. She went back and took all my emails and pictures and put them into this. Thank you Mir Elizabeth!!!! I love you!!! You are truly the best!!! So feel free to post comments. I love to read emails/feedback from people. We are really encouraged by what we read. Sometimes it's all we have to make it through the day. Don't feel like you are bothering us. We need it!

Well, my day is done. Enjoy the pictures and please keep praying for Emma and Olivia. As of right now, that is pretty much all we can do.

7 comments:

sharonki said...

Love the pictures ... such a beautiful family! I will continue to pray for everyone as these girls keep growing every day.

- Sharon M.

Angel said...

What a great friend to do this for you! I loved seeing the pictures! We're praying and beliving for miracles!

I also have a blog. I know you don't have time to read other blogs right now, but if you ever get a chance it's angelhinson@blogspot.com.

Angela E. said...

Wow...what a great website! How awesome of Mir to create that for you/us! Thanks Mir! I loved the new picures...a beatiful family for sure. Alyssa looks like the proudest big sis ever! =)
Tight hugs to you all!
Love and Prayers,
Angela E.

KaiaDC said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story; your faith in God is such an inspiration. Your girls and your family have been in my prayers and will continue to be. Thanks for the pictures! What a wonderful family!

Kaia

Adele said...

Mike & Bethany,
I'm a colleague of Brian's and have been praying for you and the girls. I'm glad you have a blog now so we can keep up on how to pray for you.
Blessings from Kenya,
Adele

James Alex Stevens said...

Mikliks,

We are friends of Stacie Wortley and she has been sending us your updates. Our hearts and prayers are with you and your family each and every day. We anxiously await your emails to see how your family are doing. We had a son about 9 months ago who was about 2 months premature, so we understand the rough road you are traveling with your little girls. I wish we were there with you to support you as you continue to go through all of this. Please know that we are praying for you in Colorado.

Much love,
Andrew, Stephanie, Katelyn, and Alex Stevens

Gina Beckwith said...

Look how beautiful they are!!! Growing like weeds! ;)