Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I don't think this day could have gotten worse...

I don't think this day could have gotten worse. I went in today and held Olivia. I spoke with the doctor about the fact the girls weren't gaining weight. He said he wanted me to start pumping with two bottles and switch in the middle to try to get the more fat milk at the end and just feed the girls that. We'll try it for a week and see if they start gaining weight. So I left the room to go pump. When I came back, the nurse told me that she had just changed Olivia's diaper and found blood in her stool. Flashbacks of Alyssa with NEC (Necrotizing Enterocolitis) (the deadening of the bowels) flashed before my eyes. They immediately did an x-ray and an exam and blood work. All that showed nothing. So they started her feeds again and just said they would check her next 3 stools. Well, the next two diapers had blood in them too. The nurse pract. did an exam and everything looked fine - not showing signs of NEC. But there is something wrong. They just don't know what. They are going to check her blood for an infection and then start antibiotics. They will do an x-ray in the morning. If it is not NEC or an infection, it could be milk allergies. So hopefully we will find out and fix it. This is a pretty big setback for Olivia.

Emma had an echocardiogram. She has pulmanary hypertension. It sounds like that means her blood vessels are restricting and she is not getting oxygen to her lungs. So they started her on Nitric Oxide. They also found out that she has 2 infections/bugs in her tracheal asperate. So they switched her antibiotics to go with those specific infections. The dr. told me today that she is really giving them a run for their money. I'm thinking "You mean our money". : ) They are trying many things with her. She is now at a "Glove, Gown and Mask" stage. Meaning you have to have these 3 things on to open her isolette to avoid spreading her infection to others. She received a blood transfusion today. I think that is it. Oh and she did gain 42 grams - which is a little over an ounce. But she also hasn't stooled today.

I think that is all for now. The end of another draining day has come. I just want to freeze time for a week, get my strength back and then have another go at it. I guess I need to wait upon the Lord.

"Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary." Isaiah 40:31

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My load is light." Matthew 11:28-30

In His Hands,
Mike, Bethany, Alyssa, Loren, Emma and Olivia

No comments: