Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Two new thoughts...

We did not admit Emma into the hospital today and I'll tell you why. While Emma has been home the past two weeks she has not done as well as I'd hoped. Obviously her weight has not increased well. Her sats have come down a little but not a lot. She has had some episodes of desats and bradies. And here lately has been vomiting, usually following some gagging. The doctor called last night and suggested we admit her because he didn't know what was wrong. So we had the choice of taking her in last night or this morning. We decided to wait until the morning.
Well last night I gave her her meds by mouth like we had done in the hospital. She desatted and paled out. It scared me but she pulled out of it. That is what started my thinking process. Why are we giving her meds by mouth when she aspirates anything that is not thickened milk? Could she be aspirating her meds? Then I started thinking about her milk and could she be aspirating that too. Well, in the hospital they have these individual bottles of formula that they give at room temperature. They don't warm them up. Well, I have been warming up her bottles. I think by doing that, I'm thinning out her milk. So the combination of those two thoughts sent me on another mission.
I stopped warming her bottles and she was able to take all 2 oz. for once and not puke it up. She also woke me up to eat before my 3 hour alarm went off. I gave her meds in her milk so that helped that. She ended up eating 10 oz. during the night and didn't puke once. Praise God! I called the doctor and told him what I had discovered and asked if we could do a weight check on Friday and if she wasn't getting better by then, then we could admit her. He said that would be fine but if she pukes once, we need to admit her. I said no problem. I really believe that God gives you gut feelings and insight to what is going on. And it's always in the right timing. Crazy!!!
So hopefully she will take off and this will work. I'll tell you what...I know this girl better than she knows herself.
I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Gina Beckwith said...

Remember what I said about you not being a failure? Aahhhhhh, it feels good to prove I'm right! I love you!

Megan said...

You are one strong and amazing mom!PRAYING!!!!!