Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I talked with the lady last night...

I talked with the lady last night for about an hour who founded the Twin to Twin Syndrome Foundation. She seems to think there is another problem going along with the TTTS. I'm not going to go into it because I don't fully understand it. But it is a problem that can't be corrected. It would require being in the hospital starting at 24 weeks with 24 hour monitoring to watch the small one - for the placenta to run out, for Emma to stop growing and at that point they would take both Emma and Olivia. It could be early, it could be later. This is only a possibility right now.

We are going into this not really knowing for sure anything. There will be many options given to us to consider. A lot of this also depends how bad I am at that point. You have to be at a certain point for the surgery. If I went to the dr. in Wisconsin, I would be bad enough to do the laser surgery. (Because Emma and Olivia are at a 43% growth difference as of last Thursday). That dr. does the surgery if they are over 40% difference. However, I do not know how Cincinnati works. There are other things they can do besides the laser but aren't necessarily effective. There is one that I definitely don't want to do. It's not really proven to make a difference and is too much risk to the babies.

So if you could pray for Mike and I to have wisdom to make the right decision of the procedure we choose (if that is how it works). I have started high protein shakes 3 times a day to help them out and also myself. If I'm going into surgery, I need to be healthy also. The doctor that invented the laser surgery recommends the protein shakes, sipping it laying down on your left side. So that is what I'm doing.

I am staying busy packing and trying to leave my house in a condition that will be good for whatever outcome.

Thanks for your prayers! I will update you again on Friday night after our long day at the hospital.

No comments: