Friday, April 18, 2008

We had another long day at the hospital...

We had another long day at the hospital!

Thanks to both our parents for watching our girls for the past two weeks and to Alison and Keith for housing us!!!! We couldn't thank you enough!!!!

We started out at Good Samaritan with an ultrasound and then headed to Children's Hosp. for an echocardiogram. Then we ate lunch and waited for our consultation with our Dr.

Let me recap a few things that were said on Monday before surgery. I asked if they have ever had a case like ours where the babies survived. The answer was no. I asked if he thought the babies would make it. He thought Emma would not make it through the surgery and he wasn't sure about Olivia. On a scale of 5 - 5 being death - Emma was at 4.

So the report today - same dr. -
Olivia is completely fine. Heart is normal (as you recall in the beginning of this ordeal Olivia was the one with the sick heart, then it turned to Emma).
Emma's left side of her heart has completely normalized. He said he cannot explain this. He said I wish I could give you an explanation but I can't. Mike and I looked at each other and smiled and I pointed to the sky. The dr. looked and me, smiled and nodded his head. The right side of her heart is still sick but has improved 10%. He said I couldn't give you better news right now. I'm 24 weeks today. He said if Emma keeps improving like she is and if we can make it to 30 weeks, she should be fine. If she is born before 30 weeks, we might be dealing with some cardiac issues. She had developed hydrops so she still has fluid in her abdomen, scalp and her lungs but they said it has not gotten worse and they think it has improved some. They cannot get an accurate growth on Emma because the hydrops (fluid) would throw off her actual size.

I do not need to have any more echos. Yea!!! Just ultrasounds from here on out - at least weekly if not more.

I told the Dr. that we just wanted to be their 1st case. He smiled. He's never had a survivor case with it this bad, well my little fighters will just have to be his first. : )

Thank you to you all for hanging in there with us and sending your prayers our way. When Mike prayed on Monday, he prayed that if God's plan was to take the girls, then He could take them home. And if His plan was for them to be here with us, that we would love to love them and care for them. It is the hardest prayer you would ever have to pray but it gives such peace and letting God have all the control. I remember praying that same prayer with Alyssa 3 days after her open heart when the dr.s couldn't tell us if she would pull through and were not hopeful. There is an amazing peace that comes over you - when you finally let go and let God.

Well, I'm going to get off of my feet. Actually I am sitting down, but I'm going to go lay down.

The plans - Mike and I are traveling back tomorrow morning to Washington. We were going to try tonight but because I just had surgery, the Dr. wants me to get out of the car every hour so I don't have any blood clots in my legs that go to my heart. So that is going to make our 5 hour trip more like 6 or 7.
I am on strict bedrest with only bathroom privileges. I am still on procardia and I will be until delivery. I am still drinking my protein drinks.

We love you all and appreciate each and every one of you!!!!
Feel free to call anytime.

No comments: