Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Prevacid

It's me...again.
So I don't think the prevacid is working any better.
She took her last pill of that today. So I'm planning on going back to Zantac tomorrow. She is back on Enfacare and they are the "ready to use" kind, not the powder and she seems to be holding things down better. I really think the consistency is different. We bought a case, which is $89 and it lasts about 6 days. Holy cow expensive!! At this rate, we will definitely be standing on the corner with a mug for change. J/K. We will need to continue this for at least 7 more months. I wonder if this could be considered flex spending next year???
Anyhow...for a "term" baby, reflux usually peaks at 4 months and then gets better. Technically, her adjusted age is 3 months. So I guess that means it could get worse this next month and then start to get better. I personally don't think it could get worse. :)
We are doing pretty good here. I have an angel of a neighbor who is going to watch my girls tomorrow so that I can go work out. I've just learned that I need to give myself breaks. Easier said than done - I will say that. I'm getting more sleep at night, it's just not good sleep for the time being. Hopefully that will get better. I still don't know how to get time to myself in the morning or night without burning the candle at both ends. My girls are usually up at 5:00 a.m. and go to bed at night around 10:00 p.m. So it is not like I can get up any earlier or stay up later to get stuff done. It is definitely challenging to figure out what works.
Today I was explaining to Alyssa that I was going to vote and how that works. She said, "Mom, I voted today at preschool". "I voted for the color pink. And then I voted for shapes". "I chose a heart". She said green won but she was sad because she wanted pink to win. She said she wanted to choose pink, blue and purple but her teacher said you can only choose one. She said there were 3 sticks in the green. I thought that was pretty cute. Loren fell asleep in her swing out back. Emma and Olivia are smiling more and cooing. It is very sweet!!
We have decided to not go anywhere for Thanksgiving and Christmas. As hard as it is, we know we have to protect Emma and Olivia from all germs. We just can't take that chance. We have to live with the outcome and the risk is too great. They have compared their lungs to the immune system of AIDS patients. Their lungs are lacking that immunity and won't be able to fight it off if they were to get sick. They have advised to stay indoors as much as possible. It will definitely be different for the holidays but still good.
I must get to bed. Love to you all!!
Bethany

2 comments:

James Alex Stevens said...

Bethany,

I'm not sure if you have thought about this or not but my son Alex had a Nissen (where they sew your stomach around your esophagus to tighen the valve) in May to control his reflux. I was very nervous and skepitcal but it worked. He was having weight issues (14 lbs at a year) and crying, uncomfortable, gassy, etc. We also put him on Neocate (it's about $150 per case that lasts about 1 1/2 weeks). It's expensive but he responded well. We applied for a grant through United Healthcare Children's Foundation to pay for the formula and we got it. www.uhccf.org if you are interested. Alex is still on oxygen and they did surgery on his lungs yesterday and the Pulmonologist said it was probably the best thing for him. His lungs look amazingly better after 5 months that they may even try to wean him off the oxgyen soon. We tried about everything before the surgery but are so glad we did it. Before the surgery he had lots of issues and even needed to be recessitated and Air Lifted after messing with his lungs (mostly from reflux). We are praying for you.

Kelly said...

I was wondering about that, glad someone has some info for you. (grants) Bethany you are doing an amazing job, the sacrifices that you are making for your babies is huge. I know we as mothers don't think anything of it, but the people looking in can tell you how awesome you are! I am glad to hear you are taking a little bit of time for yourself. I am sure that hour will seem like ten to you, and your family will reap the benefits of a refreshed mommy. I am sure it's hard to ask for help, but do you guys have any sort of donation account set up?