Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Didn't want to tease you with just a few pictures.....so here they are.




















We do have a lot to be grateful for. It has really been a challenging and rewarding year. Mostly, I'm grateful for what God has taught us this year. That He does speak to us and He does care about everything. That He wants us to lean on Him and give him control of our lives. That He loves us very much and wants the best for us. And that prayer is powerful. I'm grateful that our lives and plans were in His hands and He has walked with us every step of the way. I'm grateful for the four beautiful girls that we tuck in bed every night. I'm grateful for my amazing husband that has been so supportive and thoughtful to me. I'm thankful for our families that have stepped in and been there for us this year. I'm thankful for our church family and neighbors that have helped us through. And I'm thankful for all the doctors and nurses we have met along the way and helped our girls survive. We have a great deal to be thankful for. Sometimes it takes almost losing someone to realize how fragile life is and to appreciate the life and health we do have. As hard as it was this year, I'd do it all again to have these precious lives here with us.

I haven't updated in awhile so I'll just start throwing things at you.
Emma Grace is 8 lb. 5.6 oz. (She was 7 lb. 8 oz. two weeks ago).
Olivia Michelle is 12 lb. 7 oz. Growing like crazy!!
Both are getting over a cold (not RSV) that has been in our house for over a week now. Lovely! It started with Loren with a fever and then a cold and next the twins got a cold and then myself and Alyssa and then Mike. So we have gone through the chain. The worst parts are Emma's bloody noses. This dry weather is really taking a toll on her along with the cannula. The cold isn't helping but it should be better once we get past it.
Emma is doing well over all. The things we will be watching and working on is her calcium level and her nephrocalcinosis (calcium buildup in kidneys leading to kidney stones). Everything else seems to have resolved. We'll just keep getting weight on and hoping to get the oxygen down. That has not been better since her cold.
Good news - Olivia is off her machine!!! Yes, no cords attached. It has been wonderful!!! Just in time for Thanksgiving!! There is a picture of the machines except for Emma's oxygen. Not all the cords are plugged in but you have an idea of how many cords we deal with daily. We try the hardest to keep the kids from playing jump rope with them.
What else....oh...my results from my Cat Scan. I have had a very frustrating time finding out any information about the results. I've talked to a nurse and that is it. The dr. has been out and can't speak with me for another week or so. What I've understood from her is that I have cysts on both kidneys. He called it a tumor, she called it a cyst. Don't ask me...don't know. But anyway, on my left kidney there is a cyst measuring about 7 cm by 7 cm - about the size of a racketball. There is calcium buildup along with kidney stones. On the other kidney is a cyst measuring 1 by 1 cm. Not so big and nothing else. I'm hoping to get more information because I don't feel like I really know what is going on and I'm being told different things. If this is something that we'll have to continue to follow for years, I want more info. than what I'm getting and I won't hesitate to switch doctors. But I'll wait and see if he calls or I'll call and see if I can talk to him. It sounds like the main thing is they will have to monitor the sizes because they could get big enough that they could start affecting my other organs and then they would have to go in and remove or drain it. So if I'm looking pregnant at any point - I'm not. It's just a big cyst. Hee hee!! I'll fill you in if and when I get more information.

We had a great Thanksgiving with my parents coming first and then Mike's parents coming. We put up our tree and lights and had a great time! Just in time for this beautiful snow! We watched the Colts win!!! Yea!!! We missed everyone but it was very relaxing. I will add pictures to this post tomorrow but I'm exhausted and am headed to bed. Much love to you all!

Good night!!
Bethany

3 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so glad that Emma is continuing to gain weight!
I will be praying for you to hear from your doctor soon. I know how that is...waiting and waiting for him to call you back with such important info. I hate that!
I will continue to pray for all the sickness going around in your house.
I am glad you had such a great Thanksgiving. God is good!
Stay strong and remember there are a lot of people praying for you and your family!

I said...

Hello - My name is Jenny. I've been really struggling with issues in my own life and I was having a flip through blogs and I stumbled upon yours. I'm an Ohio native living and teaching in England. I started having a read through your posts and I was driven to tears. It has really put life in perspective for me. I want to tell you how brilliant you and your family are.

Your story is heartbreaking, but beautiful. Beautiful because you represent hope and compassion for life.

Your family is beautiful and I wish you and your little ones the very best. Thank you for writing this blog. It was exactly what I needed to read to know that there still are people who care and will fight in this world.

-Jenny

Megan said...

LOVE ALL THE PICTURES!