Saturday, December 6, 2008

It has been rough...

Sorry it's taken me awhile to write. It has been rough lately. I have been sick for 2 weeks and I finally gave in today and went to the dr. He put me on a z-pack, cough medicine ($53.89)- I didn't get that one, and prescription nasal spray and told me I need to use a humidifier. I guess I have a upper respiratory infection or something. He said he wanted to treat it pretty aggressively. Not the best thing to have with twins with Chronic Lung Disease. Lovely!! I hope the girls do not get it.
So....catch up. Let me start with a little of how my week went. It was not only rough because I was sick but because other stuff kept happening. For example, I went in to get Loren out of bed in the morning. She was standing there with her diaper off - only her shirt on. So she handed me her diaper. And then I saw it - poop all over her sheets. Yep...Good morning Mom!!!! Thankfully she did not touch it or eat it. You have to find the bright sides.
Well, I won't bore you with anymore of that. I'm going to update the medical side of this and then I'm off to bed. I haven't been sleeping much at all. It's hard to sleep when you are hacking your head off.
Emma and Olivia had their 6 month check up. Olivia is doing very well. She has even caught up developmentally. She rolled over this week for the 1st time. She is a whopping 12 lb. 10.5 oz. It was so cute in the office. Both girls were laying on the table just talking away. Very cute!!!
The girls are actually an adjusted age of 3 months. Emma is about the developmental age of 4 months. That is still good. She is ahead of the game. And considering she laid on her back in the NICU for an extra 2 months, she is going to be a little further behind. Plus she is much smaller and therefore not as strong as Olivia. But she is still doing well. She talks and smiles and does about the same as Olivia. She is just not as strong in the arms holding herself up and she hasn't rolled over. She'll get there. Growing will help.
Which brings us to her growth. Since she has had a cold, she has not picked up any weight in a week. Not great! She actually lost a little. She weighs 8 lb. 3.5 oz. This is where a cold takes affect on her. She works very hard to breathe and burns calories doing that. She is up in oxygen and dealing with bloody noses very often. She is eating great and has still not puked so that is good. We have a NICU appointment next Tuesday so we'll see how that goes. Please pray that she will get over this cold. That we all will.
I'm looking to switch urologists. I haven't heard anything about my kidneys and I know I don't want this treatment for the next 4 years or however long they want to monitor me. They go through the trouble of doing a Cat Scan and blood work and then don't call. Maybe I'm high maintainence but I'd like to know what is going on with my body. When I've called they have acted like I was an inconvenience and they tell me they'll get back with me and then they don't. Yep, my time is too precious for these games.
I think that is all the news I have. I have 5 dr. appointments next week. It will be a little rough. Alyssa has a dental and ear appointment, Mike has an ear appointment, the NICU one for Emma and immunizations for both girls. We'll see if I can pull it off. The following week I have a head sono for Emma. I'm not sure what else. I try not to look at the calendar until I have to.
Have a great night!!!

3 comments:

Gina Beckwith said...

Sounds like you are having lots of trials and need prayers for the power of Christ to come and give you the strength to face these times! Lord, lift up Bethany, Mike and the girls in this time of sickness, tiredness, and mental exhaustion. Take the respiratory illness away from the family so they are strong to face the other battles going on. Let them feel the peace and comfort that only YOU can bring them. I ask these things in Your Holy Name! Amen!

Megan said...

I think it is time for you to get a little aggressive with your doctors. You should have def. heard back. I would keep calling over and over and over again until I heard what I wanted. I have had to do that before. They much rather get your results than continuing to get your calls and "mean, mommy" voice! ;} Go get um' girl!

I am praying for all of you!

Angel said...

I've had the coughing, congestion, runny nose deal going on for a while too and I haven't went to the dr. to get a real prescription - maybe I should? The over the counter doens't seem to be cutting it!

Glad the girls are doing well....they're making great progress! I don't know how you keep up with all the appts and such - you're a great mom!