Thursday, May 29, 2008

I got to Kangaroo Care today with Olivia...

I got to Kangaroo Care today with Olivia. She had done so well that they let me hold her. She was so incredibly sweet! Her little 2 and a half pound self left me feeling like I was just holding some blankets. Just no weight at all. She slept the entire time and was loving the warmth of our skin to skin touch and just being held close. I got to touch her little face and stroke her hair. Her hair is a lot lighter outside of the incubator.

I changed a very poopy diaper of Emma and a wet one of Olivia. I also took Olivia's temperature. I am getting a little more comfortable with the smallness of these girls.

Not much of an update but here goes. Both girls are on the same track with the meds and it seems to be helping. They will take their last dose tomorrow morning. They took spinal fluid off Emma yesterday to test for infection (mostly meningitis). They think it will be negative but they are making sure. Chest x-rays are improving with Emma. She is still on C-pap with a little help of oxygen. She is digesting better. She lost a little weight. For the most part, she is still doing well.
Olivia - has not stooled in a couple of days. They took her off feeds yesterday and it lessened her bradocardias and apnea episodes. They started her feed back up today and she seemed to do better with it this time.
They will do an echo on both girls Monday to see how the meds helped close the vein that connects the two arteries in the heart. The oxygen was not getting to all the places it should. We'll just leave it at that because I find it hard to understand let alone explain. : )

Oh and I did find out that my PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension (high blood pressure)) causes some things in the babies they are trying to level out - such as white blood cells, red blood cells, platelet counts, etc. So I found that interesting. Yesterday at my appointment, not being on the procardia, I saw my true blood pressure of 158/100. It will take me about 6 weeks to get it out of my system. That is how it was with Alyssa too. Soon I will be back down to my normal of 112/68. It is so interesting how my body reacts to pregnancy.

I saw the urologist about my kidney today. He said that he doesn't think it is anything serious but they want to make sure. I'm having a sono next week on it. He said it is bigger than what he would like but he said there is a 1% chance that it is bad. He said he wants to see it as just being a round circle with no growths on the inside. If there is, then it is serious. If everything is fine, he wants to check it every year or two. With all my experience, I'm not always comforted by percentages. : ) But I am not worried about this. We'll just see.

I am getting my strength back and it is wonderful. I have 2 months of built up energy and I'm loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm already looking into painting the bathrooms. : )

No comments: