Tuesday, February 10, 2009

NICU visit

We had our NICU visit today. Emma is doing fabulous! That seems to be the word from there. They discontinued her oxygen and her apnea monitor. They said that we should keep her on the pulsox machine during the night until we are out of the RSV season. He said at least until the end of March. That is fine because it will just allow me to sleep a little better. We are also keeping the nebulizer for now. Even though she is not getting her breathing treatments we need to hang on to it until we are in the clear with cold season. He said it could keep her out of a few emergency room visits.
She is 23 1/4 in. long, head circum. is 38 1/2 cm. and her weight is 9 lb. 14 oz. He said growth wise she is doing well heighth and head circum. but we need to fatten her up. She is on Parent's Choice and they want her on Enfacare. (Enfacare has higher calories). I have put her on Parent's Choice because it costs $11.88 a can. I can feed her for about $100 a month. It costs me $600 a month to feed her Enfacare. I have bought several cases so I know how much it is and how long it lasts. It is frustrating because I want what is best for her but do we put $700 on the credit card every month for the next 8 months (they want her on formula longer than normal). Plus we put rice cereal in it, which is about $50 a month. We also started baby food so there is more there. It all adds up. They are going to see if they can get a rep. to help. I'm all about the responsibility on our heads. We had three close together. Three in diapers. Two on formula. But between feeding Emma and Olivia on the two kinds of formula - that is $850 a month that we can't pull out of the air. Plus, with the economy right now...we need to put money back too. It just is frustrating to be in a place where you are having to choose between your child and going further into debt. And all because there is 2 extra calories per ounce. I don't get it!
I hate to even write my frustration because it was a good appointment and she is doing fabulous!!! But....what do you do????
To leave on a good note....Emma is off all medications and technically off all machines. Yea!!! Go Emma - you Rock!!!

5 comments:

Gina Beckwith said...

I can't imagine how frustrated you are! Have you thought about refinancing and taking a loan on equity? Have you thought about talking to the church? I'm not sure if they can help right now, but I'm not good for suggestions right now! I'll pray for God to bless you in abundance and provide for you during this time of stress!

Unknown said...

Go to www.nextag.com and type in discount enfamil formula enfacare. They give you several places you can buy cases from that seem more reasonable.

Megan said...

Yah Emma!!! So proud of her. I am praying for you guys. I totally understand the debt thing and wanting to do what doctors say, but also wondering about your pocket book. It is very hard and at times we have made the choice to save our money. But once again there are times where the debt is worth it in the end. I am PRAYING PRAYING PRAYING! You are doing a great job!

James Alex Stevens said...

We got a grant from United Healthcare Children's Foundation to pay for Alex's formula (neocate). Go to www.uhccf.org for more info.

Angel said...

Wow...that formula cost is outrageous!! Does your state government provide any type of health coverage for children? I know they do here in IN...I would check into that if you haven't already.