Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'll try to make this short and sweet...

I'll try to make this short and sweet. Alyssa had her eye exam yesterday. She has been wearing the patch over her good eye anywhere between 2 and 6 hours a day for the last 8 weeks. By far, it has been the hardest thing we have had to do - more so than 5 surgeries. I don't wish it on anyone. We are trying to get that eye to work (to make the brain in that eye turn on). She is basically blind in that eye. So by patching it, I'm asking her to give up her eyesight for several hours. Anyhow...

So the verdict yesterday was that it has not improved at all. Her Dr. is going to see if she is a candidate for this surgery in Houston, TX. It is the only place they do it. We really don't know anything about it right now. So there is not much to share. I'm going to be calling next Monday to see what they found out. Mike and I were very frustrated yesterday because we were hopeing to see even the smallest amount of improvement. Especially for me because I'm the one at home battling this every day. Despite our frustration, we are not jumping into this idea of surgery quite yet.

There is much we want to know before we make this decision (If she is a candidate). What are the risks? Is it a sure thing? If not, what is our chances of it helping or fixing the problem? and on and on......

It is not like she is 85 and looking into this eye surgery. This is a 4 year old that has her whole life ahead of her and we want to make sure we are making the right decision.

So until then.........we continue to wear the patch. We are not giving up on this stubborn brain that has a perfectly good eye to work with. I'll keep you updated on this as it progresses.

Alyssa - loves to do arts and crafts. Her very favorite thing in the world. besides camping. She has been talking for the past month now on how she can't wait to go camping. She has already packed her bag a couple of times. She loves to laugh and play with her cousins!!!

Loren - is almost walking. She is very sweet and fun to be with. I can't believe she is almost 1. She is growing fast. Her and Alyssa love to play together. They stay up at night and just laugh and laugh (even though they are supposed to be sleeping). I'm anxious to see her with the next two!!

#3 and #4 - So we found out they are identical girls. We are excited!!! We go in for an ultrasound tomorrow to check their growth - make sure one is not stealing all the goods. My blood pressure has been up the last 3 appointments. If it is up tomorrow, I will be put on meds. I'm leaving both girls with friends so I'm praying it won't be up. I'll be 18 weeks Thursday - half way there.

No comments: